Latin Name: Eucalyptus globulus
There are over 600 varieties of eucalyptus worldwide, but less than 20 are used for the production of essential oil. Most people are familiar with its scent because it is included in many over-the-counter cold and flu products where it works to relieve congestion and constricted breathing.
Eucalyptus essential oil is purifying. At the first sign of illness in the home you may prevent the airborne germs from spreading through diffusion of this powerful oil. But be sure not use eucalyptus essential oil on or near children under the age of six.
Did you know that Koala bears in Australia happily consume eucalyptus leaves as their only food source!
Eucalyptus essential oil uses
- Air Purification: 1) Diffusion.
- Congestion, Colds: 1) Diffusion.
- Constricted Breathing: 1) Topical Application on chest and back using a 3-5% dilution in a carrier oil.
- Insect Repellant: 1) Topical Application using a 3-5% dilution in a carrier oil.
- Neuralgia: 1) Topical Application using a 3-5% dilution in a carrier oil.
- Skin Infections, Blisters: 1) Soak affected area in a basin of warm water combined with 3-5 drops of essential oil.
- Sore Muscles: 1) Topical Application using a 3-5% dilution in a carrier oil.
NOTE: Please read safety precautions below before using this oil with young children!!
Learn more about how to implement these methods of use outlined above in this article.
- 2% dilution equals 2 drops essential oil per teaspoon (5ml) carrier oil
- 3% dilution equals 3 drops essential oil per teaspoon (5 ml) carrier oil
- 4% dilution equals 4 drops essential oil per teaspoon (5 ml) carrier oil
- 5% dilution equals 5 drops essential oil per teaspoon (5 ml) carrier oil
Carrier Oils include almond, avocado, jojoba, olive and coconut. Carrier oils are absorbed through the skin so make sure you use a pure, organic oil.
Check out this article for more information on carrier oils.
- Eucalyptus essential oil should not be used in any method with children under the age of six. This is because eucalyptus can slow, or even stop, respiration in young children. Have you already used this oil on your young child? Not all children will react in this manner. The warning is given because of the potential for harm. Also remember that negative reactions don’t always happen on the first exposure.
- Toxic if taken internally, and even small amounts can be fatal.
The Wellness Consultants at both our Madison and Sun Prairie locations are happy to assist you in your choice of essential oils or supplements that address your health concerns. Making health related decisions can be overwhelming. We believe that knowledge is power and make it our mission to provide knowledge that can help you “Find Your Healthy Place”!
Disclaimer: The statements made on this page have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They are not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. If a condition persists, please contact your physician or healthcare provider. The information provided is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a healthcare provider, and should not be construed as medical advice.